The Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa Limited (IDC) was established in 1940 by an Act of Parliament (Industrial Development Corporation Act, No. 22 of 1940) and is fully owned by the South African Government.
The IDC was mandated to develop domestic industrial capacity, specifically in manufactured goods, to mitigate the disruption of trade between Europe and South Africa during the Second World War.
We have contributed to the implementation of South Africa’s industrial policy for more than 70 years and established, among others, the petro-chemicals and minerals beneficiation industries. We have stimulated large industrial projects in these industries – acknowledged today as the cornerstones of the country’s manufacturing sector – and influenced the establishment of industries in fabricated metals, agriculture and clothing and textiles.